Let me just begin this post by saying, I do not believe there is any kind of magic pill or magic oil to loose weight, at least not in a healthy way. That being said, I do believe oils can be great for supporting you on your weight loss journey as you practice eating well and moving your body. I like to think of oils as the accessory that really pulls the entire outfit together. If exercise is my jeans and eating well is my white tee shirt then oils are that fab pair of tassel earrings that takes my outfit from boring to ooh la la. So as I’m finally to a point in my postpartum healing where I feel comfortable exercising again, I’ve started working on shedding these extra baby pounds.
I’ll share more about what I’m doing for exercise and clean eating in another post but for today, let me keep this all about the oils! These are the oils and supplements I’m using on a daily basis to support healthy weight loss.
- A drop of grapefruit in my water every morning with my breakfast. Grapefruit is a powerhouse for supporting your metabolism and giving your body that extra oomph to make all that hard work pay off.
- Lemon oil in my water one to two times a week to gently detox fat cells and any other junk that’s built up in my body. I like to think of this as my weekly reset + detox.
- Peppermint oil to help curb sugar cravings. Some people do this by adding a drop of the oil to their tea or water. This is a bit too strong for me so I like to smell mine instead. I love the smell of peppermint anyways so I often diffuse it and also wear it on my diffuser necklace. You can also sniff the oil straight out of the bottle.
- Endoflex applied over my thyroid every single morning. This oil is awesome for supporting your thyroid health and your hormones. Keeping your hormones in check and your thyroid levels balanced are both so important for loosing weight and maintaining a healthy weight.
Other supplements I’m using for support
- The Slique collection is Young Livings line of weight management products. I am using the tea, bars and essence. Basically, these products help maximize your results when you are consistently dieting and exercising. I am currently on day three of the slique in 60 challenge where I am committed to using these products for the next 60 days along with my exercise and clean eating. Can’t wait to give you guys an update on how this goes!
- NingXia Red is a powerful combo of wolfberries, pomegranate, blueberry and tons of other superfruits. It’s great for your body and keeping your energy levels balanced. I like to mix a NingXia packet with a La Croix for a nice afternoon pick-me-up.
Post-Partum Belly Butter
I just made this yesterday, so I’ll be sure to update you guys on the results of using this “tummy tightening” blend. I’ve read a lot of articles about how these three essential oils can help tighten the skin and reduce the appearance of stretch marks so I’m excited to give it a try! Here’s what’s in it :
- Unrefined coconut oil
- Rosehip oil
- Vit. E
All of these oils are stellar for your skin as they are known to reduce fine lines, regenerate cells and more. I’m planning to apply it to my tummy morning and evening. I’ll keep you posted on how I like it.
If we are being completely honest, I’ve been extremely discouraged by my weight these last few weeks. While I celebrate the fact that my body can literally birth new little people into the world, I’ve felt so much sadness about how my body looks afterwards, oftentimes hating what I see when I look in the mirror. The postpartum period is really hard and I don’t think we talk about it enough or offer women support here as much as is needed. While it’s something that has been weighing heavily on my mind (pun fully intended), I’m trying to discover ways to make my weight loss journey a healthy one. Rather than obsessing over numbers on the scale and starving my body all together (something I’ve often practiced with past postpartum periods) I am learning to care for my body with kindness. I am eating foods that nourish my body while still allowing myself to enjoy decadent brownies or a fresh batch of cookies every once in awhile. I am focusing on moving my body for one hour every single day. Oftentimes this looks like a 30 minute family walk, 20 minutes of yoga during kids naptime and 10 minutes of weights after my kids go to bed. So far, this has been a pleasant experience and I’ve tried to steer clear of anything that feels like punishment. While I really want to loose weight, caring for my body with kindness needs to be the number one priority and when this care is in place, the weight loss will surely follow!
Incorporating oils into the journey has honestly made it a lot more fun so I’m really thankful for that! I love that I have all these products at my fingertips to not just support weight loss, but my overall health and wellbeing. Being skinny is not what feels good, being healthy is what feels good. So here’s to a happy, healthy weight loss journey!