Oh the weather outside is frightful… but not really if you live in the south. I have been loving these cooler days, and more cold weather is on it’s way northern hemisphere friends! I was checking my calendar today and noticed we only have 5 more weeks until Christmas. What?! How did that even happen?!? So as the temps drop and the holiday parties ramp up for the year, I’ts time to roll out your yoga mat. “Why add one more thing to my already crazy to do list” you ask. Well my friends, let me dive into a few of the many reasons why this is the best time to join a local yoga community.
- Self Care. This might be a no-brainer, but between the booze and sweets from holiday parties and the increase of time spent around toxic family members (I hope this is not the case for you but the reality is it is the case for a lot of people) you need to make self care a priority during this season. It’s easy to get burnt out from all the hustle and bustle, so slipping away for a quiet hour spent on your yoga mat will help keep you sane and centered through it all. Let your yoga class be a place for you to reset and recharge your batteries.
- Fight winter blues. Whether you just get in a little holiday funk or a full blown depression fog, Yoga is a great way to cope with depression and anxiety. The actual poses and breath work will work wonders for your mental health and the community of a trusted yoga studio can also help. The benefit of practicing at an actual studio instead of just doing yoga at home, is we get to be around other kind people and we become more committed to our practice this way.
- Treat yourself. While your already skimming the internet trying to think of ways your going to #treatyoself this holiday season, skip the sweets and excess of stuff and give yourself the gift of a healthy body, sound mind and rest. You are so worth it!! And a yoga studio membership is a gift that will keep giving after December 25th…just saying. If you want to make it even more fun, consider getting a month long membership for yourself and a friend so you can try out new classes together.
- Indoor exercise. As the days get much shorter (thanks daylight savings time) you’ll have a lot less time to exercise outdoors. While I still totally recommend bundling up and getting out for some sunshine and vitamin D, a yoga studio provides a warm, safe space for you to get good exercise in.
- Tis’ the season to come inward. The winter is often the time of year where we practice ‘coming inward’ and self exploration. It’s the time of year where we can reflect, cull out things that aren’t working in our lives and reset goals. Your yoga practice can be a great tool for self exploration to help you get clarity and find space to reflect.
Full disclosure, I do not own a yoga studio. I am just a Yoga Teacher and want everyone to be able to benefit from the practice of Yoga and I think now is an awesome time to begin reaping the benefits. So what about you? Are you a beginner feeling a little nervous about dipping your toes into yoga or are you a full blown yogini? Either way, I hope you’ll try out a studio this year if your not already a part of one. Also, not all studios are created equal!!! I cannot stress this enough. So if one doesn’t fit, try try try again.
If your looking for some goodies to spice up your current yoga and meditation practice, be sure to check out our Fair Trade Boutique!
I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and get your needed does of Zen!