At the beginning of the year I always create a vision board for the year ahead so I can be intentional in all of my choices, weaving that common theme throughout all areas of life. This year a big theme of mine was to simplify in all areas of life. As a firm believer in the simple life being the way to go and the entire ‘less is more’ approach, I of course carried this idea of simplicity into my wardrobe. While I did a lot of research on the whole capsule wardrobe trend, I felt like it was a fabulous idea, but just not for me. Having only 10-12 pieces in my wardrobe is just not appealing to me as a busy mom who doesn’t want to slave away in the laundry room and also as someone who likes to change up my style a lot. I have been able to find a lot of great ways to keep my style simple though without leaping into the capsule wardrobe trend full force. Style should always be personal and it should always be fun! Check out some of my favorite tips for keeping your style simple and easy!
“K.I.S.S. Keep it Simple Sister!”
- Build your wardrobe around your basics. Your basics are things like jeans that you love, tees that flatter your figure and basic camisoles for layering. These often come in solid patterns and classic colors. Don’t be afraid to spend a little more on these pieces because they will be worn often and they will carry over year after year thanks to their timeless style.
- Neutrals pair well with other neutrals (or any color for that matter). I have a slight obsession with neutrals, okay maybe a big obsession, but hear me out. One of the things I love about neutrals is that they are so much more versatile! As you’ll see on the look I style below, I paired a simple gray top with jeans and brown shoes. I used my basics/neutrals to create a chic canvas and then added a statement necklace for a fun pop of color! The more neutral pieces you have in your wardrobe, the more outfit combinations you’ll be able to get. And for those who love color, you can mix your colorful pieces with your more muted pieces so the color really pops. Mixing your basics looks anything but basic 😉
- Organize your closet where you can easily see all of your pieces. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to get ready in the morning and not being able to find what you need. If your closet is filled to the brim with so many clothes that you can’t easily see them all, it’s either time for a purge or a bigger closet. A great way to simplify your closet is to purge it. You don’t have to become a full blown minimalist to purge. A simple way to purge is at the end of each season, look back through your closet and remove any of the pieces you didn’t wear or only wore once over the course of that season. If you have a summer garment that you didn’t wear this summer, chances are you won’t wear it next summer either.
- Pick your outfits the night before. I always always always remind my personal styling clients of this. If you are anything like me (and 80% of the rest of the population) mornings can get chaotic. Your barely even awake, your rushing around trying to get ready and get out the door on time. This so often leads to poor outfit choices. Make life easier on yourself and pick your outfit out the night before. I usually spend about 5 minutes each evening checking the weather for the next day and checking my planner to see what type of things I’ll be doing and then plan my outfit accordingly. Plan the night before, thank yourself in the morning!
- Pre planned outfits are not just for kids! I always appreciate the little outfits that I can buy for my daughter where everything is already matching because it means less effort and time on my part. So do yourself a favor and be the stylist of your closet for 10 minutes and put together 5 outfits that you really love. These can be your ‘go to’ outfits for when your feeling uninspired or maybe didn’t follow through with step 4.
What I wore: Grey top- Anthropologie. Red Tassel Necklace- Charming Charlies (did I mention I found it in the clearance section for $8?! Winning). Jeggings- Target. Shoes- Thrifted but they are fabulous Steve Madden shoes (one of my faves for shoes). I love to pair my basics all together and then add a really fun accessory for a pop of color!
Still need help simplifying your style? Head over to our personal styling tab to learn about how you can schedule your own personal style consultation! All of our packages are 40% off for the month of August!
Happy Hump Day friends and as always, Stay Fabulous!